Friday, April 15, 2011

Chevron Tee Tutorial with Guest Cheri of I Am Momma Hear Me Roar


our next guest is one of my fave creative mavens. let's all say a big hello to cheri from the fabulous "I Am Momma Hear Me Roar"! now cheri is a woman of many talents. not only does she craft and sew she can diy the heck out of anything. i swear she could take any object and make it fabulous!


she's a busy mom of two adorable little boys and boy do i love that she has boys. she posts all the cute goodies she makes for her stylish litte men that i can drool over but never get to make that often. she can rock a hair accessory or hat like nobody's business, take a tacky playroom and make it stunning and sew, embroider, applique like a pro.


i mean honestly how cute are these?

so creative and oh so much fun! make sure you pop over and say hi to the lovely & talented cheri (always rocking some great hair) for me and make sure to check out all the crafty goodies on her blog. now let's hear from cheri...



I'm ready to head into the ring today. While I can appreciate the skills of the opponent, I'm fighting for sewing here. Why? Because it's faster and more doable. I had a sister who "took up knitting" several times and we always teased her because all the knitting ever amounted to was what we called a Barbie scarf.

Sewing also allows you to embellish clothing, which I absolutely love. Today I'm going to show you how I made this chevron tee. We all know the chevron pattern is all the rage. I thought it would be fun to try it on a t-shirt, adding a bit of texture.

I started off with a plain shirt and cut out two chevron shapes from an old t-shirt. The shirt had some gray sprayed on the side of it and I purposely used that part to give it more interest.



When I had it where I wanted it I pinned the chevrons down.


I sewed lines along it (1/4 from the edge and the lines being 1/2 apart). Don't worry about the lines being perfect. (What we're going to do to it won't allow you to see small errors.)


I took my scissors and snipped the top fabric between the stitched lines like this.


That's it. The strips will roll in a bit as you wear it and wash it, giving the t-shirt some fun, textural interest. I think it would be fun to make one tone on tone (meaning the chevrons the same color as the t-shirt).


Go Comfy Sews! Thanks for having me Shannon.

you're welcome cheri! thanks so much for joining in, i love the chevron tee! if you want more i am momma hear me roar check out cheri on her blog and on facebook.

have any of you been loving all the chevrons lately? what's your fave way to spice up a basic tee? share your tips and pics!

9 comments:

  1. Love the curled edges on the chevron stripes!! I linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-chevron-tee-applique/2011/04/15/

    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's such a brilliant technique! I'm going to do that to some of my son's boring tees this weekend. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome, Cheri! And you are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. see now I knew I wasn't the only one crushing on Cheri's hair. Am I less creepy now?
    This is such a cute project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is SO awesome! I am sewing one right now... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh...I like this method! It would be cool to do in a flower or another shape too...Hmmm may need to try to embellish a bag or something before I try a shirt...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made one of these for my son!

    http://alittlegray.blogspot.com/2011/04/3-boy-shirts.html

    But here's a tip for anyone else who makes one- make sure you attach the cut out t shirt pieces in a way so that the edges curl up. I forgot to pay attention to that obvious detail, and so one of my chevrons curl up and the other two don't! Still a cute shirt though :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ollie5253@comporium.netDecember 20, 2011 at 6:03 PM

    i bet this would look great doing it on the inside of shirt and cutting thru shirt

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment - we love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...